The Department has developed a set of strategic goals and objectives for openness that will drive its work forward and allow it, and the public, to measure and assess its progress. These goals are:
- Goal 1: Increase the Department’s transparency and accountability.
- Objective 1.1: Provide clarity and guidance on privacy rules and regulations to ensure that information and data can be shared in a timely manner with the public while still protecting individual privacy as required by law.
- Objective 1.2: Make more data and information available to the public.
- Objective 1.3: Improve the timeliness of FOIA processing and document release.
Objective 1.4 : Increase the transparency of the grant application and award process.
- Objective 1.5: Maintain up-to-date information on the Department’s website about Department offices and key programs.
- Objective 1.6: Foster more transparency in the larger educational community.
- Goal 2: Solicit and incorporate more public input into Department operations.
- Objective 2.1: Provide more insight into the agency’s decision-making process.
- Objective 2.2: Provide regularly updated project maps, dated milestones, and financial data regarding open government and other key initiatives.
- Objective 2.3: Collect and use input from the public and other stakeholders in decision-making.
- Goal 3: Increase collaboration and communication with other organizations.
- Objective 3.1: Enhance collaboration with other federal and non-federal agencies, the public, and non-profit and private entities.
- Goal 4: Create a culture of openness within the Department.
- Objective 4.1: Encourage openness and communication about effectiveness within the Department.
- Objective 4.2: Enhance Departmental internal collaboration capabilities.